Friday 20 January 2012

Top 5 Laundry Ideas

I think I would be safe in saying that the most hated room in every house is the laundry. Let’s face it, the laundry is a work room and holds all the things required for the jobs you never want to do, be it cleaning the toilets, the washing and ironing, or in my house, the vacuum and mop. 

It’s the room that always gets forgotten in the renovation process, the room that always misses out on the stone bench tops and the nice finishes and the room that very rarely is given any careful consideration or thought.

So... I thought for today’s post it might be interesting to explore a couple of laundry ideas that struck me as very clever and well considered. 

Anna White
1. Pre-Sorted Laundry Baskets
I quite often tip my whole laundry basket onto the floor, pull out all my darks (because that includes all my work stuff and is the most important), put them into the machine and then never do the others because it’s annoying to go through the whole process again. This idea means that a load of washing can be quickly thrown on as you walk out the door in the morning, or amongst all the other cleaning jobs you have to do on the weekend. This particular design also makes dryers and front load washers a far more practical height and utilises the space underneath beautifully. Your laundry baskets also look neat and tidy in the process! 


2. Overhead Cupboards
Six Sisters
We utilise the overhead space in our kitchens but very rarely do we carry this logical theme through into our laundries. Overhead cabinets in the laundry are great for storing cleaning products or all those random little things that don’t have a proper home. It’s also a good spot to store your chocolate stash because nobody will go in there to look! 




Appliances Online


3. Fold out Ironing Boards/Centres
I will happily admit that I do not iron. I perform the scrunch test on all items of clothing prior to purchase and have informed my partner that if he wishes to wear business shirts he can learn to iron for himself! I do however think that part of this is to do with the effort associated with lugging out the ironing board and iron, setting it up, ironing a few items, and then lugging it back to its home again. Fold out ironing centres have a spot to keep the iron, a power point, a light and a shelf for the other bits you may use when ironing. It takes out all the extra effort associated with ironing and keeps this section of your laundry neat and tidy! 




Housing Touri
4. Hanging Racks
These racks are handy for both drying and ironing clothes. I don’t particularly like to put my nice knitted wear on the clothes line to get blown around so hanging it in the laundry provides a great solution. It also gives you somewhere to hang the ironing if you get onto a real roll, which would never happen in my household. 






5. Sink Covers
The laundry sink is used occasionally but for the most part is a waste of bench space! Covering this area with a flat surface increases bench space hides the stuff soaking underneath. Another option is to have a stainless steel rack the fits over the top. It allows you to dry cloths, etc. without them going smelly, and dry the mop and bucket. 

So there you go! My top 5 awesome laundry ideas! 






No comments:

Post a Comment